The Virginia Newspaper Project and the Library of Virginia invite you to visit Virginia Chronicle, the Library’s online newspaper database and repository. We have added close to 300,000 pages to Virginia Chronicle that the Newspaper Project originally contributed to Chronicling America as part of the National Digital Newspaper Program.
But there’s more. Virginia Chronicle will include titles that are either outside the scope of the NDNP or that have particular interest for those doing Virginia related research. For example, the Library partnered with the Virginia Farm Bureau, an advocacy group for the farming industry, to include issues from the 1940’s to 1999 of the Farm Bureau News on Virginia Chronicle.
Our Church Paper (New Market, 1875-1904) will be added in the next few days.
- Amherst Progress 1904-1922
- Campaign 1884-1888 Richmond
- Afro-American Churchman 1886-1890 Petersburg
- Missionary Weekly 1889-1890 Richmond
- Jeffersonian Republican 1859-1889 Charlottesville
- Children’s Friend 1865-1884 Richmond
- Critic 1887-1889 Richmond
- Evening News 1868-1873 Harrisonburg
- Roanoke Baptist Union/Baptist Union 1888-1914
- Evening Truth 1887 Richmond
- Virginia Farmer 1908-1909 Emporia
Virginia Chronicle also offers patrons a text correcting option, a great new feature that we’re excited to have added to the database. By simply registering, users can assist in correcting text that may have been missed or “misread” by optical character recognition (OCR) software. OCR is impressive technology but it’s not perfect and through user participation, text correcting will improve search results while making a very good database even better.